Policies and Procedures

Academic Probation

A student whose semester GPA falls below 2.00 will be placed on Academic Probation. Probation is a warning that studies are not of expected quality. A student on probation should plan carefully to avoid subsequent dismissal. The student should seek advice from a faculty advisor, and it is the student’s responsibility to seek the advice.

A student placed on academic probation must register for no more than 12 units and sign up for academic counseling with the Academic Skills Counselor. Probation will be lifted if the next semester’s GPA is 2.00 or higher if their cumulative WJU averages are above probation level. If cumulative WJU averages are below the disqualification level after at least two semesters at the University, students may be academically dismissed

Adding a Class

A student may add a class using the appropriate form. This form is to be submitted to the SPS Office and will then be processed through the Registrar’s and Student Accounts offices. Before submitting an Add Form a student should consult with his/her Academic Advisor about the scheduling, possible overlap with other course work, financial aid implications, prerequisites and work load considerations.

Administrative Drop

Classroom Conduct Students have a responsibility to conduct themselves on campus in ways which do not interfere with the rights of other students to learn or of instructors to teach. Use of electronic devices such as pagers, cellular phones, or recording devices, or other potentially disruptive activities, is permitted only with prior explicit consent of the instructor. The instructor may rescind permission at any time during the course.

If a student does not comply with requirements or obstructs the functioning of the class, the instructor may initiate an administrative drop. The instructor must record circumstances. The approval of Vice President for Academic Affairs is required. Prior to a decision, the VPAA will consult with the student and other parties as appropriate. Appeals go to the Academic Committee and the VPAA. Serious cases of misconduct will be referred to the Student Life Committee for appropriate action. The effect on grades is the same as a drop initiated by the student and is based on the date the administrative drop is approved. The student will be notified by the final grade report. There may be financial implications as a result of the drop.

Attendance: If a student misses two or more classes in a given course, he/she will be administratively withdrawn from the course.

Appeal Process

The student is to follow the steps listed below when making an appeal. The first step should resolve most problems. Any issue that cannot be resolved at that level may be appealed to the next. Any appeal may be carried to the President of the University if the appeal process outlined below does not resolve the issue.

For all appeals concerning changes in a student’s classroom status or program that deviate from normal procedures, contact the local SPS Director, discuss the situation, and obtain a petition for a change if it is felt necessary. Submit the petition to the SPS Director for consideration by the SPS Academic Committee.
Financial Matters / Financial Aid
For all appeals concerning student financial matters or student financial aid, discuss it with the SPS Director who will refer you to the Student Finance Officer or the Financial Aid Office.
Student Life
Every student has access to a formal grievance process if so needed. In the event a student has specific concern regarding a policy of the University, the student is encouraged to communicate the concern in writing to the Director of the School of Professional Studies and if satisfaction is not achieved, then to the Vice-President for Student Life. The Vice-President of Student Life will act to bring formal resolution to the stated grievance. If satisfaction is not achieved, a student may appeal directly to the President.


Due to the accelerated nature of the SPS courses, the Program practices a 100% attendance policy. Consistent class attendance is mandatory for students.

First Absence
Students who miss one class of a five-week course may, at the instructor’s discretion, be allowed to make up the class by writing a 10-12 page paper that relates directly to the discussion covered in the missed class. The session make up must be completed and submitted to the instructor no later than 2 weeks after the last class session for the course. Failure to make up the absence will result in a zero for class participation. This paper acts as a replacement for classroom participation and is in addition to the original homework assignment that must also be completed.
Second Absence
(This policy applies to students who have not filed a drop card for a course according to policy. Please refer to the policy on dropping a course for details.) Any student who misses the FIRST TWO nights of any course without a Petition to Drop has not established attendance and will receive an Administrative Withdrawal from the class, earning a U grade. Students who miss two nights of class in ANY OTHER COMBINATION will automatically receive an F grade. In each case the course must be repeated at a later time at the student’s own expense.

The student will be notified in writing by the Academic Office that they have been administratively withdrawn from a course. The letter will also request that the student contact the Registrar about their intention to continue in the Program. If no response is received by the specified date the student will be administratively withdrawn from all remaining courses for that term and considered to have stepped out of the program. The student will be notified in writing of the official dismissal from WJU. Any student wishing to return to the SPS after these actions have been taken will be required to submit a new application. If accepted, they will enter under the current catalog requirements. Serious financial consequences may result with either a drop or withdrawal. Financial Aid will likely be affected. The student is responsible to contact the Financial Aid office for information.


A student may audit a course in the SPS Program and pay an audit fee.

Change of Cohort

Students who wish to change cohort must obtain the approval of their academic advisor. A Petition to Change Cohort form must be completed, including academic advisor’s signature, and submitted to the Program Office or the Registrar’s Office. A $110.00 processing fee will be added to the student’s account. Depending on the student’s circumstances they may also need to file a Petition to Drop form and/or a Leave of Absence form.


Students should feel free to seek out a faculty member of their choice or request referral for counseling from the Disability and Academic Support Coordinator. Students are responsible for any fees incurred as a result of personal counseling off-campus. For referrals or other information, please call the Student Life Office at 916-577-2253.

Drops / Withdrawals

Students withdrawing from a course must submit a Petition to Drop form to the SPS Office. Students who submit a Petition to Drop before the first class session will not receive a penalty and the course will not appear on the student’s permanent transcript. Students who drop a course after the first class session ends will receive a W on their permanent transcript. The Petition to Drop form is to be submitted to either the University Academic Office or the local SPS office. The effective date of the drop will be the postmark, fax date and time (original must follow by mail), or date and time received personally by University staff. Failure to withdraw from class by submission of a Petition to Drop will result in an F being entered on the permanent transcript for the class and any refunds for the class are forfeited.

A student who has officially dropped a class and who is no longer registered for credit or for audit is ineligible for further attendance in that class. Dropping a class may affect the student’s financial aid. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Financial Aid office for information.

Grade Change

An instructor may correct a clerical error on a grade by filing a Change of Grade form with the Registrar’s Office. Requests for a grade change form should be made by the instructor directly to the Registrar’s Office. The form must be received by the Registrar’s Office within six months from the last day of the semester.

Appealing a Grade

After final grades have been filed in the Registrar’s Office, a grade in a course may be changed only by the course instructor. Appeals must be directed first to the instructor, then to the department chair, and to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. If the request remains unresolved at any of those levels, the student may file a grade grievance petition with the Academic Committee. The deadline to file an appeal is the last day of the subsequent semester.

All instructors are encouraged to retain records of completed course work and grades for a period of one calendar year from the date of the last day of the semester. Part-time, relocating, and retiring instructors should provide these materials to their respective departments.

Incomplete Work

School of Professional Studies students are expected to complete all course requirements during the time assigned for that course. The course final must be completed by the first week of the following course. The instructor will have 2 weeks to grade the final and submit the course grade.

Failure to turn in a final, or a failing grade on the course final, results in an automatic failure (F) for the course. Any student work, other than the final, not submitted by the date the final is due will be considered a zero and the course grade will be calculated accordingly.

In the rare circumstance when it is impossible to complete the course requirements on time, the student may Petition to Receive an Incomplete (I) grade. The student must contact the instructor to work out an agreement of a due date for incomplete work to be submitted. In order to receive an I grade, the student and instructor must submit the Petition to Receive an Incomplete form submitted within one (1) week after the final is due. For prompt submission, this form may be faxed to (916) 577-2240, attention Assistant Registrar.

The petition will be reviewed by the Academic Office and the Director of the SPS. Once the petition has been either granted or denied, the Academic Office will mail a copy of the petition to the student and instructor so both are aware of the outcome. A $25.00 processing fee will be added to the student’s billing. If the student fails to complete the work within the time limit, the grade for the course will become an F and the student must repeat the course at their own expense.

Leave of Absence

Students who find it necessary to interrupt their enrollment should file a Petition for a Leave of Absence before leaving the University. A Leave of Absence is good for a maximum of one year and allows students to maintain the existing graduation program. (Students who return from a Leave of Absence will enter under the current fee schedule.)

Students withdrawn from the University for one academic year or more (official or unofficial leave of absence) may be required to update some or all of the admissions requirements. (Failure to petition will mean that, upon their return, a student must fulfill all graduation requirements for the current academic year in which they re-enroll.)


WJU considers its students to be responsible Christian adults and prefers to treat them as such. A major part of an education at a Christian university is developing and maintaining Christian character, specifically integrity. One jeopardizes that integrity by participating in any kind of deceit; WJU regards such acts as willful plagiarism, cheating, and misrepresentation as deceitful. A student discovered in this kind of activity will not only lose the trust the University has invested in him or her, but will also be subject to discipline: the student will not receive any credit for any assignments that are willfully misrepresented by plagiarism or cheating and will be subject to a personal interview by the Academic Committee to determine if the student may remain in class or in school.


William Jessup University, in compliance with State and Federal regulating Boards, maintains records for all students at its main administrative location. Materials required by the Reform Act shall be preserved for five years; all academic and admissions records are maintained in accordance with local, state, and federal laws.

Transfer of Credit

  1. All courses taken at schools with regional or ABHE (formerly AABC) accreditation, meet UC or CSU transferable credit requirements, do not repeat WJU credits, and are a C- or better will be accepted in transfer during the first semester of enrollment. Units will be accordingly distributed to proper requirements. Any extra units will be allowed to affect class standing but will not apply toward degree completion. Decisions about course comparability may be referred to the appropriate department chairs.
  2. Transfer credit generally not awarded for coursework taken at institutions without regional or ABHE accreditation credit may be considered after students have successfully completed 24 semester units in residence at WJU. Consideration of such transfer credit may require:
    • Students to provide catalog descriptions and/or course plans for the classes that could transfer,
    • Evaluation and approval from the respective department chairs, or
    • Other appropriate means of validating the credits previously earned.

    The amount of transfer credit will be decided on a course-by-course basis and only awarded upon verification of the educational integrity of both the individual course and the institution from which the course was taken.

  3. Verification of educational integrity for courses and/or degrees completed at a college or university outside the United States must come from an appropriately recognized international educational evaluation source, such as IERF (International Education Research Foundation). A list of acceptable international evaluation services can be obtained from the Registrar’s office. The cost of such verification will be borne by the student.
  4. Students who have been out of college for an extended period of time may have to retake some coursework at the discretion of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
  5. Courses taken at another college, but used as part of high school graduation requirements will not count toward completion of a degree.
  6. A maximum of 50% of the total units required for a bachelor’s degree are allowed in transfer from community colleges.
  7. Students may appeal for re-consideration of evaluation first to their advisor, then to the Registrar. Final decisions about the awarding of transfer credit rest with the Vice President for Academic Affairs.


The requirement for a course in the SPS curriculum will be waived only if the student has previously taken the course at William Jessup University.

Withdrawal from WJU

Withdrawing from all courses is a two-step process:

  1. Dropping classes: Students who wish to withdraw from all classes in which they are registered must follow the process outlined in the preceding section (see Dropping (Withdrawing from) a Course).
  2. Exiting the University: Students must submit a Request for Leave of Absence or Official Withdrawal to the University Academic Office or local SPS Office. If the leave is temporary, a student should fill out the Leave of Absence section in order to maintain the existing graduation program. If the student will not be returning they should fill out the Official Withdrawal section.