At William Jessup University (www.jessup.edu), we have developed several affirmations of our common life together. We borrowed liberally from Biola University (thanks President Corey!), but modified them for our use here. These might be of interest to you as you build your team:
William Jessup University 10 Affirmations of Our Common Life (08/11)*
1. God’s purpose for WJU through the Mission & Vision of the University is primary. My personal desires and wishes will not be my primary lens in decision making at WJU.
2. We will be a praying team. We want to hear from God and not just do things for God.
3. We will engage in difficult issues as a team with strong opinions but a Christ-honoring, loving spirit; once we make decisions we will be united. We will confront reality, deal with problems and challenges, and be open about difficulties. Truth is our friend.
4. We will acknowledge our need for each other and trust in each other, willing to admit to weaknesses and mistakes. Building Trust through Truth will be a primary goal of our team.
5. We will assume the best of others. Philippians 2 will be our primary mindset in our relationships with other team members.
6. We will be a team that looks forward to our meetings together and other opportunities to work as a group. Our shared ministry at WJU is a calling, not just a “job.”
7. We will work to minimize “office politics” and maximize solutions, breaking down silos and building up our shared vision as a university community.
8. We will lean in to innovation. Not every idea is a good idea, but we will develop an openness to be challenged by new and different thinking and encourage initiative.
9. We will be as discerning and strategic as possible in everything we do. When we make mistakes in discernment or activity, we will quickly acknowledge our error, apply the lessons learned, and redirect our efforts and focus. We will be humble and full of grace.
10. We will respect one another as team members and hold each other to high standards of Biblical accountability at every level.