General Financial Aid FAQ

Select any question to view the answer

Apply at Jessup and Fill out a FAFSA
If you have filled out an application to attend WJU, you have already begun this process. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens up on October 1st of each year, and is the only way to be considered for Federal Aid and Loans as well as State financial aid. For more information on types of financial aid, see the WJU financial aid website.
October 1st
The FAFSA becomes available on October 1st each year for the upcoming academic year. This means that you can begin this process in the fall term of your high school senior year. Many outside scholarships begin accepting applications around January 1st – the spring term of your senior year.
There may be more than one
The deadline to submit a FAFSA in order to be considered for Cal Grant is March 2nd, but the sooner this application is submitted, the better. Even if you miss this deadline, you should still fill out a FAFSA! There are other types of aid you may qualify for. Each of the WJU scholarships has its own deadline for application. For a full list of eligibility requirements, see our financial aid website.
The FAFSA takes many factors into account, and you may qualify for more than you expect. The FAFSA is also a requirement to be considered for federal student and parent loans as well as WJU need-based aid.
Apply and receive your offer letter
The majority of our students qualify for some form of financial aid. Once you have filled out your FAFSA and been accepted to attend WJU, we will send you an offer letter listing the aid you qualify for. If you are interested in a rough estimate of the aid you may qualify for, feel free to experiment with the Net Price Estimator on our website.
Typically, yes
We recommend that students only consider private student loans as a last resort after all federal options have been used up. For more information on federal loans, please visit the federal student aid website.
Most students qualify
Except in rare circumstances, any student who completes a valid FAFSA is eligible for federal Stafford student loans. Parents are encouraged to speak with their financial aid counselor or administrator to determine if federal parent loans are an option.
WJU participates in both federal and state grant and loan programs in order to make affordable Christ-centered higher education possible for students of all economic backgrounds. WJU also offers need-based aid to students with parents in full time ministry, students that actively participate at one of our church partners, and students with a FAFSA application that demonstrates a significant financial need.
WJU participates in the federal Pell and SEOG, Federal Work Study, and the state Cal Grant and Chafee Grant for foster youth programs.
A wide variety!
WJU offers a variety of institutional scholarships and grants. For a full list, see our financial aid website.
In some cases
If you receive enough financial aid or loans to exceed your other costs for the semester and are scheduled to receive funds back, you may use this credit balance to buy books through the bookstore or you may receive your refund and use these funds to purchase books on your own.
Roughly, yes
Almost all of our scholarships are annually renewable as long as the eligibility requirements remain met. Federal and state grants are re-evaluated yearly. For a detailed list of renewal requirements, see our financial aid website.
There are opportunities to earn additional aid
WJU has several methods of earning additional aid in future years. These include academic scholarships based upon receiving a 3.00 cumulative WJU GPA, student leadership scholarships, and the Endowed scholarships that are provided by our generous donors.
Any aid that you are receiving from an outside organization can be reported when you return your financial aid offer letter. You must also send copies of any award letters to your admissions or financial aid counselor. Doing so will allow us to expect a deposit from your donor and keep from overcharging you.
It may be
Financial aid can be affected by a move on or off campus in specific circumstances. It is especially recommended that you speak with your financial aid counselor before committing to a move off campus.
Fill out a FAFSA before March 2nd and submit your grades
To be considered for Cal Grant, you MUST be a California resident and submit a FAFSA before March 2nd. It is recommended that a FAFSA is complete before this date to allow time for you to address any errors. In addition to the FAFSA, your high school GPA must be submitted to the California Student Aid Commission before March 2nd. Your school should submit your GPA for you. If you go to a private school, it is recommended that you check with your school’s office to ensure that they send these grades
Submit GED, SAT, or ACT scores
Since home-school transcripts are not considered official by CSAC, you must submit official GED, SAT, or ACT scores. For More information, see the California Student Aid Commission’s instructions for home-school students.

Completing a FAFSA FAQ

Select any question to view the answer

Ask your financial aid counselor!
If your financial situation has significantly changed, and the income reported on the FAFSA does not reflect your current situation, please speak with your admissions or financial aid counselor to assess if a petition could benefit you.
The parent that supports you the most
The FAFSA guidelines require that you include financial information from the parent that you lived with most during the past 12 months. If you have a similar situation and are unsure what to do, please contact us!

Completing the 18-19 FAFSA:

Beginning with the 17-18 academic year, the FAFSA is now available starting October 1st of the year preceding the year you will start going to school. The FAFSA will now use the “prior-prior” year’s tax information. This means that you will use the tax information from 2016 for your 18-19 FAFSA.

Yes, in most cases.
The retrieval tool should be available on the 18-19 FAFSA. As long as you qualify to have your tax data transferred, you should be able to save time by linking the data to your FAFSA right away.
With the new FAFSA changes, you can only use 2016 tax information on the 18-19 FAFSA. If there are significant differences in income between these two years, let your financial aid counselor know and we can discuss other options.
Only income and tax information from 2016 will be used. Other questions such as family size & assets will be based on your current situation.

Do you have a question that you think others would benefit from? Send your Q&A suggestions to