The Direct Parent PLUS Loan is a loan that a parent can take out in their own name to help cover a student’s balance. This is a 3-step process that typically only takes 5-15 minutes per step. Before getting started, we recommend checking out your WJU billing account on the student portal (new or returning students) or your Cost Worksheet provided by the Financial Aid Office (new students only). This is the best place to look to collect information on how much needs to be covered with a loan AND/OR paid out-of-pocket.
NOTE: If the parent is denied a PLUS loan after his/her credit is checked, the student may be made eligible for an additional $4,000-$5,000 in Federal Student Loans.
- Go to www.studentloans.gov and click on the big blue log-in button to sign in with your parent FSA ID (the same ID you used to sign your student’s FAFSA).
- Click on “Apply for a Direct PLUS Loan” and select the parent application (second button).
- Fill out the application.
- Add Jessup to the application – School Code 001281
- We recommend applying for the “maximum amount” of your loan eligibility rather than entering a specific amount. You can specify an actual amount on step 3.
- The loan period is August – May
- Submit the application.
- You only need to continue with the following steps if you are approved and want to continue with the loan.
- Complete the Loan Agreement (MPN) for the Parent PLUS loan on the same website listed in step 1.
- You do not need to renew this agreement every year unless you are obtaining a PLUS loan through an endorser.
WJU Loan Request
- Go to the Financial Aid Forms and Resources Page
- Scroll down to “Loan Forms & Resources.”
- Select the “Direct Parent Plus Loan Request” for the year you wish to receive a loan.
*The Direct PLUS Loan has a federal origination fee that is taken from the loan automatically. The NET amount is applied to the billing account. The GROSS amount is what must be repaid with interest.