Recognizing the strategic role of the youth minister in the spiritual development of young people (middle school, high school and college), William Jessup University offers a major in youth ministries. The vision of the youth ministry program is to reach the next generation by preparing students to evangelize and disciple youth and their families. The mission of the youth ministry program is to creatively prepare students to be dynamic leaders and facilitators that inspire youth to the Christian life.
William Jessup University expects the student who graduates with a degree in Youth Ministry to demonstrate:
- Ability to devise, discuss, and defend a personal philosophy of Youth Ministry that is both biblically formulated and developmentally appropriate.
- Ability to develop a ministry to youth in a church or parachurch organization in diverse socio-cultural settings.
- Ability to assist adolescents and their families in problem-solving and decision-making.
- Preparedness to stay current in youth culture.
- The ability to identify models of effective youth ministries through internships, guest lecturers, and field trips.
- Ability to recruit, nurture, and mentor teenage leaders and adult volunteer staff.
- Preparedness for service in a leadership role and function as part of a team/staff.
- Ability to prepare and deliver sound and effective teaching to youth.
- Ability to continue in life-long learning.
- Preparedness to provide a good Christian example as a student of scripture.