The Counseling Certificate is designed to enhance the ministry of those who are called to counseling roles in Christian ministry, whether paid or volunteer. Students may complete the 32 unit certificate program independently of other course work or incorporate certificate course work with any of the other WJU majors. Courses in this program will prepare students to:
- Respond in crisis or chronic situations.
- Assess situations for intervention.
- Apply God’s word to human need.
The program seeks to:
- Equip students to live out the relational and counseling aspects of their ministry more effectively.
- Help students recognize the limitations of undergraduate preparation in counseling and to increase their referral to helping professionals with specialized training.
- Provide lay training in counseling for members in the Christian community who have specific educational goals.
The following courses are required for a Counseling Certificate:
|Contemporary Discipleship (LDRS152a, 152b)||5|
|The Art of Interpretation (BIBL249)||3|
|Developmental Psychology (PSYC141)||3|
|Interpersonal Processes (PSYC222)||3|
|Abnormal Psychology (PSYC351)||3|
|Personality Theory and Therapy (PSYC300)||3|
|Counseling Skills (PSYC331)||3|
|Counseling Practicum (PSYC475)||2|
|Electives: Choose 9 units from the following:|
|Introduction to Psychology (PSYC100)||3|
|Marriage and Family (PSYC200)||3|
|Social Psychology (PSYC203)||3|
|Psychology of Relationships (PSYC230)||3|
|Small Group Dynamics (PSYC322)||3|
|Human Sexuality (PSYC333)||3|
|Child and Adolescent Psychology (PSYC342)||3|
|Gender Studies (PSYC345)||3|
|Adult Development and Aging (PSYC346)||3|
|Crosscultural Issues in Psychology (PSYC332)||3|
|Community Psychology (PSYC430)||3|
|Grief and Loss (PSYC432)||3|
|Psychology of Addiction (PSYC352)||3|
|Total units for Counseling Certificate||32 Units|