WJU, in partnership with Church Sports International, offers the Sports Ministry Certificate. Church Sports International is a ministry dedicated to serving churches, mission organizations, and sports parachurch ministries in the task of stimulating a vision for using sports and recreation to plant and grow churches, equipping the saints for the work of ministry, and helping to implement that ministry.
The Sports Ministry Certificate Program at WJU seeks to:
- Equip students in fulfilling the Great Commission through a sports ministry.
- Prepare students to make disciples through sports and recreation.
- Help initiate a church-based or parachurch sports ministry.
- Provide information on current developments in the sports ministry field.
- Prepare athletes to serve Jesus Christ.
- Train sports ministers and missionaries.
- Equip people to use sports as a ministry tool.
- Produce people who can use sports and recreation as a platform for the gospel.
The following courses are required for the Sports Ministry Certificate:
|Contemporary Discipleship (LDRS152a, 152b)||5 units|
|Biblical Interpretation (BIBL249)||3|
|Introduction to Sports Ministry (SMIN201)||2|
|Evangelism and Discipleship through Sports and Recreation (SMIN303 and SMIN304)||4|
|Organization & Administration of a Sports Program I, II (SMIN403 and SMIN404)||4|
|Camping Administration and Programming (YMIN273)||3|
|First Aid or CPR||2|
|Care and Prevention of Injury||2|
|Sports Ministry Internship||3|
|Total units for Sports Ministry Certificate:||25 units|