The Bible and Theology major builds upon the core curriculum requirements to prepare students for seminary training or for graduate work in theology, ethics and philosophy. The major may be used to prepare students for employment in church and parachurch agencies by achieving a level of biblical literacy that will enable them to be active in local church leadership and teaching ministries.
The degree, likewise, may be taken by those planning a teaching career in Christian schools, colleges and universities, students preparing for Pastoral and Teaching ministries in the church or those already in the pastorate. Also, Christian grade school teachers of the Bible would find this an excellent complement to the teacher education program. Other possible vocational uses of the major include Intercultural studies professional, Christian missionaries, those interested in language study and Bible Translation, and Christian church leaders desiring a thorough biblical education.
The graduate with a degree in Bible and Theology will be able to:
- Articulate a biblical theology of ministry from the context of his or her chosen ministry discipline.
- Be conversant in the basic elements of Christian theology and effectively present biblical truths in individual conversations and group settings.
- Evaluate all of life and thought from a biblical perspective, discerning truth and falsehood, essential and non-essential in matters of Christian faith and practice.
- Defend the inspiration and authority of the Bible and evangelical Christian doctrine.
- Critically examine one's own assumptions and those of others that influence the way in which the Bible is interpreted.
- Exercise critical thinking regarding biblical content and its integration with the entire spectrum of human learning.
|Foundational Studies||48 units|
|Bible and Theology Major||39 units|
|Free electives/Minor||41 units|
|Degree total:||128 units|
Bible and Theology Major (Foundational Bible + Major requirements):
|Christian Foundations - Old Testament (BIBL101)||3 units|
|Christian Foundations - New Testament (BIBL104)||3|
|Christian Theology (THEO451)||3|
|Greek (BLG215a & BLG215b) or Hebrew (BLG225a & BLG225b)||6|
|Bible and Theology Elective (any level)||3|
|Upper Division Bible and Theology Electives||9|
|Total units for Bible and Theology Major:||39 units|